Tedesco speaks out about missing board meetings
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Although he is still a member of the Wake County School Board, some people are wondering if John Tedesco's higher office dreams are keeping him from the job at hand after he missed two school board meetings this week.
ABC11 asked Tedesco if he's losing focus on his job as a Wake County School Board Member and he was quick to fire back.
"I'm completely focused on it," said Tedesco. "In fact, that's why I'm running for the position I'm running for. I'm constantly engaged in helping Wake County's children."
On Tuesday, some parents questioned his focus after Tedesco, who is a candidate for state superintendent, skipped a school board meeting to attend a Republican primary debate in Winston-Salem.
He was also absent from a meeting Thursday which marked the first time the school board and the Wake County Commissioners have met in more than a year.
"There was nothing new, really, that wasn't presented at a meeting that each board didn't know on their own," said Tedesco. "It was just a joint meeting for discussion purposes and to share conversations about those goals."
Tedesco said he spent Thursday in Greensboro due to a work commitment for his job.
School board member Debra Goldman, who is also running for state auditor, would not comment specifically about Tedesco's absence.
"It's my priority to be there. It's my job," said Goldman.
Goldman did share her thoughts on the importance of Thursday's meeting with commissioners.
"It was a very important discussion to be having, face to face, all of us there, together," she said. "When you're talking about these vital issues that really affect your constituents first hand, you need to be there to represent them."
Tedesco said he has engaged in conversations with several of the county commissioners about the budget. He also added he plans to attend all of the regular board meetings scheduled in the coming weeks.
wake county, wake county schools, inside politics, alina machado
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75