Top Dems say little about rumors of harassment allegations
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Top North Carolina Democrats continued to say little about rumors of an alleged sexual harassment scandal within the party Saturday.
But that hasn't stopped the story from continuing to make international headlines.
ABC11 also obtained copies of an email chain that alludes to a rumor that a prominent Democratic Party official was at the center of harassment allegations
We asked North Carolina Democratic Party Chairman David Parker about it after a speech to the Durham County Democratic Party Convention Saturday.
"We issued a statement. The statement was that several of our employees have left over the last couple of months - on mutually agreeable terms - and I can't say anything further about a personnel matter. And I will not," said Parker.
"I cannot and will not comment on this case. Employment discrimination or harassment in the workplace or the work site is something Democrats are very concerned about, and rightfully so," he continued.
In a question and answer with ABC11's Mat Mendez, Parker said the Democratic Party stands behind anti-harassment laws.
MENDEZ: "So you will not confirm or deny allegations of sexual harassment within the party?"
PARKER: "On this particular case, I stand by my statement as previously issued."
MENDEZ: "When you call it a case though?"
PARKER: "In this particular circumstance. Case is a term of art. Don't put words in my mouth."
While Parker declined to comment further, the emails obtained by ABC11 mention rumors of a financial settlement that allegedly was reached between an unnamed former staffer and a top party official which allegedly included a non-disclosure agreement.
Other prominent democrats contacted by ABC11 called the allegations troubling and told us they'd like to see further investigation.
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport 11 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map 1 min ago
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped 51 min ago
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Traffic returns to Wash. bridge that collapsed
- NAACP, students challenge education changes
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident
- Baby born on Raleigh Beltline
- NC undocumented ask for in-state tuition prices
- Obama renews call for nuclear reductions
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
10 min ago
- Money Saver: Home pet remedies
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos