Christie in Raleigh for Romney fundraiser
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Two political heavyweights were in the Triangle Tuesday evening to raise cash for Mitt Romney.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and GOP Chairman Reince Preibus were headlining the guest list.
"I think it sort of says that North Carolina is pretty important," said Raleigh businessman and Republican donor K.D. Kennedy.
Kennedy said the Tar Heel State is hugely important to Romney.
"North Carolina is one of those states that Romney really wants to take back for the Republican Party and it needs to as long as electoral votes are concerned," said Kennedy.
That's what drew Republican superstars Christie and Preibus to Kennedy's home in Five Points. Their star power attracted about 75 guests. It was a who's who of big name conservatives from the multi-millionaire Art Pope to Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison.
The cost to hear Christie and Preibus speak was between $2,500 and $75,000 per couple.
"When you see people like this coming down to raise more money so we can get the message out," said Harrison.
And it doesn't hurt part of that message is coming from Christie, who recently helped the former Massachusetts governor raise $5 million at a New York fundraiser.
Could he get the nod as Romney's running mate?
"He is the kind of guy that just sort of says what's on his mind and then brings the issue up and doesn't take too many prisoners," said Kennedy. "I don't think he sees himself as a vice presidential candidate."
Christie was unavailable for comment.
At a minimum, Tuesday evening's event raised more than $187,000 for Romney.
The event is just one of two this week. Thursday, Mitt Romney's wife, Ann, will attend a fundraiser in Greensboro.
mitt romney, inside politics, fred shropshire
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Target offers apology discount this weekend 44 min ago
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AAA Carolinas expects record travel by Tar Heels 39 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help