Ellmers responds to lawmaker skinny-dipping
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A North Carolina congresswoman was involved in a trip overseas where another lawmaker went skinny-dipping.
ABC11 has learned the Rep. Renee Ellmers was one of the people on a trip to Israel when a congressman from Kansas decided to swim naked at the holy site of the Sea of Galilee.
The congresswoman said she was there that night a year ago, but she passed on taking a dip at the holy site.
The story broke Monday morning on Politico with news of the FBI probe into this congressional visit to Israel where Kansas Republican Kevin Yoder admitted to disrobing after a night out with his colleagues and going skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee, where Jesus walked on water in the Bible.
Dozens of freshman GOP lawmakers were on the trip. Twenty took a swim, but only Yoder admitted to skinny-dipping.
Ellmers explained why it took so long to find out about the incident.
"We all said look, the less said about this the better," said Ellmers. "This is something-- it's not exactly a shining example of who we are in Congress or a reflection of the trip we were on. It was a very serious trip to Israel."
Yoder issued a statement in which he apologized for embarrassing his colleagues and his constituents.
Ellmers called Yoder a dear friend who let his emotions get the better of him.
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75