Seniors weigh in as Ryan heads to Raleigh
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The road to the White House runs through Raleigh Wednesday as Republican vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan comes to town for a rally and a fundraiser.
Ryan will appear at SMT Inc. in the 7300 block of ACC Boulevard Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. at an event that's being billed as a "victory rally."
Doors will open at 11 a.m. and tickets to the event are free.
Ryan spent much of his first week as Romney's running mate defending his controversial budget plan in congress that dramatically changes Medicare.
The proposals wouldn't go into effect for a decade, which means current Medicare patients wouldn't be affected. In spite of that, they've got plenty of opinions about it.
Residents at the Carolina Preserve, a housing community in Cary for senior citizens, spoke to ABC11 about both sides of the Medicare battle.
"They're not going to mess up Medicare. They have no intention of messing up Medicare," said Karen Watson, a Medicare beneficiary. "People that think it's going to tear Medicare apart are crazy. Obama's the one taking money out of Medicare."
"I do believe that a voucher system would absolutely not work," said Linda Medoree-Ritter, a Medicare beneficiary. "If they repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the donut hole will open up again -- meaning seniors will be responsible for more of their medication costs."
Ritter believes Mitt Romney's pledge to repeal the president's health care law would also have a big effect on her healthcare costs.
Later Wednesday, Ryan will then attend a high-dollar private fundraiser at the home of John Kane, who is the Chairman and CEO of Kane Realty.
Tickets to that event run up to $25,000.
Meanwhile, moveon.org plans to have protesters outside of both of Ryan's scheduled events in Raleigh Wednesday.
wake county, inside politics, joel brown
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide