African-American leaders line up against McCrory
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A new web video put out by Democrat Walter Dalton's campaign claims Republican Pat McCrory doesn't understand the African-American experience in North Carolina.
It goes on to feature 12 African American speakers highlighting areas where they say McCrory doesn't get it and where Dalton does.
In much of the video, footage from the civil rights movement flashes behind speakers who attack McCrory for his support of a state budget that cut education in North Carolina, supporting cuts in women's health programs, and supporting stronger voter ID laws.
NC Senator Floyd McKissick, who appears in the ad, says widespread voter fraud has never been found in North Carolina.
"We're trying to solve a problem that does not exist," he offered, "He should know that. He should be aware. You don't embrace false issues."
But McCrory's campaign says McKissick, and the video itself, is off base. It says McCrory is running a campaign for all North Carolinians, including - of course - African Americans.
"In saying the things that Senator McKissick said, he himself is being divisive," said McCrory campaign spokesperson Brian Nick. "To somehow charge that he doesn't understand this, that, or the other - to make a political attack in this vein - is really ... shameful."
Nick says Dalton's video is driving a cultural wedge into the campaign, not his candidate.
"It was a very offensive video he released and this is not something Pat McCrory would approve of for his own campaign," he said.
But McKissick told ABC11 he believes the criticism is fair and valid.
"I think he doesn't completely understand issues that affect African Americans," he said.
pat mccrory, walter dalton, inside politics
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 19 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help