Election staffers put in overtime
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- It's a presidential election year, and the staffers at the Wake County Board of Elections know that means overtime.
With thousands of absentee ballot requests and new voter registrations to process, staffers put in an extra day Saturday trying to keep up.
The downtown Raleigh office has already handled more than 10,000 requests for absentee ballots this year.
"Every Presidential year we get ready for it. We know it's coming, 'cause that's where we do have the highest participation of voters," explained Wake County Board of Elections Deputy Director Gary Sims.
Sims said the volume has increased since 2008 and Wake has added about 50,000 new voters.
He expects them to come in right up to the deadline.
"The deadline for registration is going to be October 12th at 5 p.m. So we do have to have your voter registration received and postmarked by that date and time," he explained.
And those concerned about the possibility of long lines at the polls on Election Day can opt to cast absentee ballots.
"You do have to request that absentee ballot by mail one week before election day. So the Tuesday before Election Day, that's your last day to request," said Sims.
You can request an absentee ballot online, but you have to sign it and actually get it down to the Board of Elections. You can either mail it or bring it in physically, if Wake County is where you live.
"As long as you declare that Wake County is where you reside, where you live, is your address 30 days before the election, then that is where you'll be voting," said Sims.
For more information about how to vote in other counties, visit the North Carolina State Board of Elections website for links to your county.
wake county, inside politics, anthony wilson
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats 19 min ago
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week 44 min ago
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche 34 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 29 min ago
- Family of Danielle Locklear opens up