McCain, Graham stump for Romney locally
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Former Republican presidential candidate John McCain campaigned for Mitt Romney in the Triangle and the Sandhills Tuesday.
The senator was joined by Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina at an event at the VFW Post 7383 in Cary.
The men spoke about their concerns over national security and veterans benefits, which they claimed can only be improved with a change in administrations.
McCain said a recent attack on Americans in Libya by an apparent terrorist group shows the Obama administration's weakness.
"They're coming back strong because of the weakness of American leadership. Mitt Romney understands ... the importance of American leadership, American exceptionalism, and as Mitt Romney said in his speech, if you don't want America to lead, who do you want to lead?" said McCain.
"His economic policy choices have been failures, and his leadership on foreign affairs has led to a more dangerous world," said Graham.
But North Carolina Democrats took issue with the senator's statements. Congressman David Price told ABC11 that the claims are false.
"I'm happy to be a one-man truth squad here this morning with what these surrogates for Mitt Romney are trying to say," he offered.
McCain and Graham had multiple stops planned in North Carolina Tuesday.
The two men held a "Veterans and Military Families' Rally" at North Carolina Veterans Park in Fayetteville Tuesday afternoon.
wake county, inside politics
- Search for missing swimmer to resume Thursday
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- NWS confirms Franklin County tornado
- Wake superintendent named, controversy begins
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos