Republicans want to clear oversight boards
RALEIGH, N.C. -- Environmental groups and other critics cried foul Tuesday after Republicans in the North Carolina Senate moved to fire all the members on several key state regulatory and policy boards and let GOP Gov. Pat McCrory and party legislative leaders make their own picks.
The Senate Rules Committee voted on Senate Bill 10, which would dismiss all current members of the North Carolina Utilities Commission, state Industrial Commission, Coastal Resources Commission and state Lottery Commission. Other panels labeled obsolete would be eliminated or reduced in size.
Critics said the bill is a blatant move to get rid of Democrats on boards before their time officially expires.
In a statement Tuesday, the NC Sierra Club blasted the move, calling it "an unwarranted and ruthless attack on environmental boards and commissions whose job it is to serve the public."
"This measure places hyper-partisan politics over the orderly conduct of the public's business," said Molly Diggins, state director of the NC Sierra Club.
Sponsor Sen. Bill Rabon of Southport acknowledged the bill would give McCrory the ability to set his own mark in government but denied it was a Republican power grab. He said it should make the state more efficient and save $2 million.
Associated Press reporter Gary D. Robertson contributed to this report.
pat mccrory, general assembly, inside politics
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 7 min ago
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats 46 min ago
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 56 min ago
- Controversial Easter ad features Jesus...
27 min ago