Poll: Favorable rating falls for NC Gov. McCrory
ELON, N.C. -- A survey indicates Gov. Pat McCrory has lost popularity with North Carolina registered voters since spring. President Barack Obama appears to have had a similar decline.
The Elon University Poll released Thursday has 36 percent of those surveyed this week approve of McCrory's job performance, compared to 46 percent in April. Those who disapproved grew from 25 percent in April to 46 percent.
The Republican governor has received negative attention from hiring decisions at the health department and signing legislation from the GOP-led legislature. The General Assembly's approval rating is 32 percent.
"This is all a reaction to the failed leadership of the governor and the legislature," said Ben Ray with the North Carolina Democratic Party.
Ray says McCrorys sliding numbers make sense.
"Pat McCrory ran as a moderate and now he's attempting to govern as a tea party conservative and the voters are punishing him for it," said Ray.
Mitch Kokai, with the conservative John Locke Foundation, has another theory. It has to do with the media.
"Part of that is there are actually scandals going on," said Kokai.
Kokai isn't saying coverage of the governor is off base, but rather that a barrage of critical stories is bound to take its toll.
"What you're hearing about Pat McCrory is about what people don't like," said Kokai. "You haven't heard much about what he's done or new initiatives."
The poll also shows three in five people say the state is on the wrong track.
The poll sets Obama's approval rating at 38 percent, compared to 45 percent in April. Congress' approval rating is 14 percent.
The Elon poll of 701 registered voters has a margin of sampling error of 3.7 percentage points.
north carolina news, barack obama, pat mccrory, inside politics
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma 55 min ago
- American Univ: campus on lockdown, gunman reported 50 min ago
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing 40 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 11 min ago
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman 10 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- Car hits CAT bus, injuries reported
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help