DHHS staffer paid $50K for one month on job
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A new scandal is erupting within the Department of Health and Human Services.
DHHS Secretary Aldona Wos paid her chief of staff more than $50,000 for one month on the job.
A settlement agreement shows that Tom Adams, who was hired as Wos' chief of staff, was paid $37,000 after he left the agency on April 1.State records show that was just one month after he was brought on. He also made his salary of more than $13,000 for a month of work.
When he hired by Wos, Adams' salary was $155,000. His settlement agreement was three times what he made in the one month he worked at DHHS.
A letter to state Budget Director Art Pope shows the administration signed off on it.
DHHS Spokesman Ricky Diaz did issue a statement which said, "The size, scope and responsibilities of the Department of Health and Human Services are immense, and the challenges are among the greatest in state government. Since January, over 1,600 people have left the department and over 1,400 people have been hired to positions."
ABC11 tried to get through to Adams, but our calls did not get through.
He likely wouldn't say much, however. As with many severance agreements, this one is effectively a gag order for both Adams and the state.
north carolina news, inside politics, jon camp
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help