Marvin Austin back in Carolina blue
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- Former UNC football player Marvin Austin will return to the football field later this month, and he is expected to be wearing a UNC helmet.
Austin, who was dismissed from the program in October after accepting illegal benefits from agents, will play in the East vs. West Shrine Game on January 22 in Orlando, Florida. The game is an opportunity for college seniors to play in front of NFL scouts.
While players in the game wear East or West jerseys, they typically wear the helmet from their respective University. UNC officials tell ABC11, "players wear the helmets of the college they last played for, so Marvin will be wearing a North Carolina helmet. He will be allowed to wear it."
The NFL Draft is scheduled to begin Thursday, April 28 at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. ESPN's NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper has Austin ranked as the #6 Defense Tackle. Austin is projected as a late first round or early second round pick.
unc football, sports
- Majority of number combos picked for Powerball pot
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos