St. Louis Rams extends contract to NCCU lineman
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The St. Louis Rams extended North Carolina Central University senior defensive lineman Teryl White a free agent contract Tuesday, according to a news release from the school.
White is a native of Macon, Ga. He finished his NCCU career with 158 tackles, including 30.5 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks, during 34 games from 2007-10.
White says he learned about the Rams' interest while taking a statistics exam Tuesday morning.
"I was sitting in my statistics class taking a test when I got a text from my agent saying, 'Please answer your phone if you can, the Rams are trying to reach you,'" White said. "Luckily I was almost done with my test because it was hard to think about anything other than getting that phone call."
The 6-5, 295-pound lineman will play the position of defensive tackle.
"The excitement is kind of dwindling at this point because I realize this is only a first step, and in no way guarantees me a spot on the roster," White added. "The Rams say they like my size and that I have a prototypical body for that position. I understand there is a short window of opportunity to prove myself, but I think I have a real good shot to get on the roster."
White represented NCCU at the 2010 Russell Athletic HBCU Bowl All-Star Game. In addition to his success on the field, he served as president of NCCU's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and was a two-time recipient of CoSIDA/ESPN the Magazine Academic All-District First-Team honors.
nccu football, sports
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas