Butch Davis fires back at critics
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- Former UNC head football coach Butch Davis went on the record Tuesday in an apparent attempt to clear his name.
He posted a video on the YouTube web site to give his side on the UNC football scandal.
The video is the first time Davis has gone on the record since UNC showed him the door in July following an investigation into improper benefits and academic misconduct involving players.
In the video posted Tuesday, Davis speaks for nearly ten minutes about his coaching philosophy and his academic record at UNC.
He says he was committed to running a clean program and one of his core values is education.
But did Davis know about alleged improper benefits to players from NFL agents and what did he know about former assistant coach John Blake, who has been linked to the late professional agent Gary Wichard?
"As the head coach you want to know every single thing - you like to think you know the important things - but logically, you know you simply can't know everything," says Davis in the video. "Did I know he had such a close relationship with an agent? No. Should I have known? I wish I had known."
Davis also speaks about tutor Jennifer Wiley - who allegedly gave players improper assistance - and about his firing and Chancellor Holden Thorp.
unc football, sports
- Burglars nab Raleigh gun store again
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem 50 min ago
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home 48 min ago
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Duke gets funds to develop diverse scientists
- US 321 to remain open during Memorial Day weekend
- NBC's Brian Williams addresses Elon Class of '13
- Ohio kidnap case hero not endorsing free burgers
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon