Summitt, Krzyzewski honored by Sports Illustrated
NEW YORK (WTVD) -- Pat Summitt and Mike Krzyzewski have been picked as Sports Illustrated's sportswoman and sportsman of the year.
The two Hall of Famers are the winningest coaches in women's and men's college basketball.
Tennessee's Summitt announced in August that she had been diagnosed with early onset dementia, Alzheimer's type, but pledged to continue coaching and show others that they can live their lives with the disease. She earned her 1,075th career victory Sunday.
Duke's Krzyzewski passed mentor Bob Knight on Nov. 15 when he won his 903rd game.
The magazine said Monday they joined UCLA's John Wooden in 1972 and North Carolina's Dean Smith in 1997 as the only college basketball coaches to receive the honor.
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed