Summitt, Krzyzewski honored by Sports Illustrated
NEW YORK (WTVD) -- Pat Summitt and Mike Krzyzewski have been picked as Sports Illustrated's sportswoman and sportsman of the year.
The two Hall of Famers are the winningest coaches in women's and men's college basketball.
Tennessee's Summitt announced in August that she had been diagnosed with early onset dementia, Alzheimer's type, but pledged to continue coaching and show others that they can live their lives with the disease. She earned her 1,075th career victory Sunday.
Duke's Krzyzewski passed mentor Bob Knight on Nov. 15 when he won his 903rd game.
The magazine said Monday they joined UCLA's John Wooden in 1972 and North Carolina's Dean Smith in 1997 as the only college basketball coaches to receive the honor.
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2