Second biopsy on Williams' kidney shows no cancer
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- A biopsy shows University of North Carolina men's basketball coach Roy Williams' tumor on his left kidney was an oncocytoma, a non-cancerous kidney tumor.
Williams had surgery to remove a tumor from his right kidney on Sept. 19, which was also an oncocytoma, which is often indistinguishable from kidney cancer on x-rays.
Dr. Eric Wallen, professor of urology at UNC said as a result of the biopsy, Williams will not require surgery on the left kidney.
"The result of the biopsy of the tumor on the left side is great news for Coach Williams and his family," said Wallen. "He is recovering very well and we will continue to follow his progress. In the meantime, he can return to his normal schedule, including the team's first practice on October 13."
"Once again, I want to say how overwhelmed my family and I are by the support and concern of so many former players, members of the Tar Heel family and friends and fellow coaches from around the country," said Williams. "Saying I'm overwhelmed truly doesn't give justice to how much I appreciate all their thoughts and good wishes. The support has been off the charts.
"The level of professionalism, compassion and care that the entire medical team at UNC Health Care provided to my family and me has been extraordinary. Dr. Wallen and his staff have helped us get through a difficult process better than I ever could have expected.
"I also want to thank my family, especially Wanda, Scott, Kim and Katie, and my staff and players, for helping me get through these last three and a half weeks. The degree to which their love and support helped me is something I will never be able to adequately express."
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Lawrence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial 26 min ago
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC 59 min ago
- McCrory cites jobless rate, tax overhaul in video 53 min ago
- Charge dropped in Cary culvert fire
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Lawrence Lovette denied change of venue for...
26 min ago