UNC: Hairston and McDonald will not play
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- UNC said Thursday that men's basketball players P.J. Hairston and Leslie McDonald will not play Friday against Oakland due to ongoing NCAA compliance issues.
UNC head coach Roy Williams suspended Hairston indefinitely after a summer drug arrest and after Hairston received multiple speeding tickets.
Williams has said the NCAA will have a say in how many games Hairston will miss.
McDonald's status is under review after UNC asked a company that makes mouth guards to stop using him to promote its product - possibly a violation of NCAA rules.
Both players have been practicing with the team. Williams did not say when they could return to regular play.
That will be a frustration for the coach as he said they are his best 3-point shooters.
"PJ's playing as well (in practice) as any player I've ever had," said Williams.
north carolina news, unc basketball, sports
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown 32 min ago
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation 41 min ago
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67