North Carolina rolls past Wake Forest 105-72
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- Leslie McDonald scored 19 points to help North Carolina beat Wake Forest 105-72 on Saturday.
Freshman Kennedy Meeks added 15 points for the Tar Heels (20-7, 10-4 Atlantic Coast Conference), who won their ninth straight and had little trouble despite a short turnaround from Thursday night's rousing win against No. 5 Duke. North Carolina shot 53 percent to build a 19-point halftime lead, never let the Demon Deacons (14-13, 4-10) closer than 13 on the way to its best scoring output all year.
The Tar Heels started 0-3 in the ACC, including last month's 73-67 loss at Wake Forest. But they've regrouped to reach 20 wins for the 41st time in 44 seasons.
The highlight of their recent surge was the emotional 74-66 win against the Blue Devils, with the Tar Heels rallying from 11 down after halftime in a game that ended about 36 hours before Saturday's tipoff.
north carolina news, unc basketball, sports
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia