Abilene Christian will move to Div. I Southland
Abilene Christian, which has been competing in the NAIA and Division II ranks for nearly 40 years, has accepted a bid to join the Division 1 Southland Conference in 2013-14.Abilene Christian, which has been competing in the NAIA and Division II ranks for nearly 40 years, has accepted a bid to join the Division 1 Southland Conference in 2013-14.
The school will hold a news conference on Saturday to officially announce the move.
ACU has competed in the Lone Star Conference since 1973. In 2013, the Wildcats will begin their four-year transitional phase to Division I and will become eligible for the FCS playoffs in 2017-18.
The Southland Conference will have 14 members beginning in 2013-14 with the recent addition of Abilene Christian, the University of New Orleans, Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist.Brett McMurphy covers college sports for ESPN.
- 7 hurt, 1 missing in Davidson County boat wreck
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Authorities search for Iowa teen amid rain, wind
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos