UT-Pan American accepts invitation to join WAC
The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.EDINBURG, Texas -- The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.
The university announced the decision Wednesday. All 14 of the school's sports programs will compete in the conference, including men's and women's basketball and baseball.
In addition to UTPA, WAC membership for 2013-2014 is scheduled to include Cal State-Bakersfield, Chicago State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Seattle and Utah Valley.
UTPA athletic teams, with the exception of men's tennis and golf, have been competing in the Great West Conference. The Broncs were previously members of the Sun Belt Conference.
The UTPA baseball program has competed in the NCAA tournament 13 times and produced 32 players drafted by major league clubs.
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Family displaced in Fayetteville house fire
- Dad of teen charged with grandmother's murder speaks out
- Suspect arrested in Sanford man's death
- Police seek security balance for Boston Marathon
- Ex-Christie aides: Withdraw traffic jam subpoenas
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- No consensus on how to notify data breach victims
- North Carolina deciding again on film break future
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos