UNC does not know timetable for NCAA decision
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- Contrary to previous reports saying that UNC would be announcing a decision in the NCAA investigation of football players, UNC Director of Athletics Dick Baddour says there will be no announcement Friday.
A university spokesperson also confirmed that Thursday, telling ABC11 Eyewitness News previous reports of an impending decision were "inaccurate."
Baddour told media during a news conference Thursday that he will be the spokesperson for the university on all matters concerning the NCAA's investigation.
He went on to say that it is not fair for football head coach Butch Davis to wield investigation questions. Baddour said he does not know the timetable for the investigation's conclusion and reassured everyone that UNC is "not hiding from this."
Baddour said he would like to see state laws changed regarding agents, and he would like to see stiffer penalties for agents. Once the the investigation is over, he said intends to reflect on the sistuation and possibly create a unified front with the ACC to change the laws.
Rumors of NCAA violations surfaced last month after behavior by defensive tackle Marvin Austin was questioned. He allegedly spent time with a known sports agent while in Miami.
UNC has never confirmed which players were under investigation.
It is believed that Durham native and wide receiver Greg Little also is the focus of the investigation for possibly receiving improper benefits from agents, according to the Associated Press.
In an article published yesterday by the IdahoStatesman, two former players are now being implicated in the investigation.
Those players include former Tar Heel defensive lineman Kentwan Balmer and former defensive lineman Cam Thomas.
Also named is associate head coach and, recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach John Blake.
When asked about Blake's possible invovlement, Baddour said, "This is not taken lightly...the status of any coach would depend on what rule was violated. These are people?s lives we're talking about, and we will not take any decision lightly."
Balmer, Thomas and Austin were teammates in 2007. Balmer allegedly paid for two UNC players to attend a training facility in California that is owned by a sports agent. That sports agent also is an acquaintance of Coach Blake's.
Coach Blake is being investigated for separate incident involving current team members, including Austin, who attended a party thrown by an agent in Miami.
If investigators determine there have been violations in relation to the California trip, Austin and Thomas could be ruled ineligible and UNC would face having its 2009 season wiped clean. Consequently, Austin could be ruled ineligible as he enters his senior year.
unc football, orange county, ncaa fb
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas