S. Carolina WR Byrd hurts knee, out of bowl
No. 8 South Carolina will be without second-leading receiver Damiere Byrd for the Capital One Bowl after he injured his knee at practice this week.
The school said Friday that Byrd would have arthroscopic surgery in a day or two. The Gamecocks (10-2) will face No. 19 Wisconsin (9-3) in Orlando, Fla., on New Year's Day.
The 5-foot-9 Byrd is from Sicklerville, N.J. He had 33 catches for 575 yards and four touchdowns this fall. His 76-yard touchdown catch at Tennessee on Oct. 19 was the Gamecocks' longest scoring pass of the year.
Byrd is among South Carolina's fastest players and competes in sprint events for the Gamecocks' track team.
Athletic spokesman Steve Fink said the team was hopeful Byrd would be recovered enough for spring practice.
- Suspect arrested in Sanford man's death 7 min ago
- Police seek security balance for Boston Marathon
- Ex-Christie aides: Withdraw traffic jam subpoenas
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- No consensus on how to notify data breach victims
- North Carolina deciding again on film break future
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Durham shooting sends one man to hospital
- Parker leads No. 4 Duke past No. 14 UNC
- Four teens charged in Raleigh stabbing
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos