Anderson University D-lineman collapses, dies
An Anderson University football player has died after he collapsed in an intramural basketball game.ANDERSON, Ind. -- An Anderson University football player has died after he collapsed in an intramural basketball game.
In a statement Friday, the central Indiana college said sophomore Xavier Walton was playing basketball in the Kardatzke Wellness Center when he collapsed Thursday night. The northwest Indiana native died later at a hospital in Anderson, about 30 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
An autopsy was performed Friday, but the Madison County coroner didn't immediately release the cause of death.
Walton was a defensive lineman and was studying visual communication and design. He had graduated from the Thea Bowman Leadership Academy in Gary.
Classmates and school staff held prayers for Walton and his family Thursday night in Reardon Auditorium.
- Malaysia asks countries for data to help find jet
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school 5 min ago
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos