UNC, Gamecocks have 2015 date in Charlotte
North Carolina will play South Carolina on Sept. 5, 2015, at Bank of America Stadium, the site of the Dr Pepper ACC Championship game, the Charlotte Sports Foundation announced on Thursday.
North Carolina will play South Carolina on Sept. 5, 2015, at Bank of America Stadium, the site of the Dr Pepper ACC Championship game, the Charlotte Sports Foundation announced Thursday.
UNC and South Carolina are also set to open the 2013 season at South Carolina on Aug. 29 in a nationally televised ESPN game. The two programs used to play regularly but have not met since 2007. UNC leads the series 34-18-4.
"We are extremely excited to bring these national football powers and regional rivals together in Charlotte for college football," Will Webb, executive director of the Charlotte Sports Foundation, said in a statement. "Both North Carolina and South Carolina have a strong alumni presence in the region. This will be a tremendous game featuring a marquee matchup of ACC and SEC teams. We look forward to hosting the Tar Heel and Gamecock teams and fans in Charlotte."
The agreement between the two schools and conferences could be a foreshadowing of a potential ACC-SEC matchup in the Belk Bowl, which is also run by the Charlotte Sports Foundation in Bank of America Stadium. With the College Football Playoff beginning in 2014, the ACC is in the process of restructuring its bowl lineup. A source said last week that the Belk Bowl is interested in an ACC-SEC matchup in the future.
- Officials say security tight for Boston Marathon 41 min ago
- Woman reunited with dog, TV snatched on 1st date
- Hometown favorite wants to win Boston, for Boston
- Man detained after threats at LA Times building
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- 5 things you should never, ever count on while flying
- Not everyone's happy Obama will deliver a graduation address
- Woman sues after '8THEIST' plate denied
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos