Virginia Tech, West Virginia to renew rivalry
West Virginia Mountaineers and Virginia Tech Hokies will renew their rivalry across state lines with a home-and-home series beginning in 2021.
The Black Diamond Trophy is making a comeback.
The Mountaineers will host the Hokies that season before returning to Blacksburg in 2022.
"During my three years as Athletic Director at West Virginia University, I have heard from legions of Mountaineer fans, particularly those in the Southern part of the state, who have expressed their strong sentiments to renew the football rivalry with Virginia Tech," West Virginia AD Oliver Luck said Wednesday in a release.
"This game is great for college football. We all know that the two schools have extraordinary fan bases, and both schools will be counting down the days until the Hokies and the Mountaineers meet again."
The Black Diamond Trophy was introduced in 1997 to symbolize the region's history of coal mining. Both schools were Big East members at the time, but Virginia Tech moved to the ACC in 2004. West Virginia joined the Big 12 in 2012.
West Virginia leads the all-time series 28-22-1, but Virginia Tech won the last meeting 34-17 in Morgantown back in 2005. The two teams met in 33 consecutive seasons from 1973 to 2005.
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh 34 min ago
- ACC tournament to move to New York?
- Driver trapped after hitting tractor trailer
- NC educators have new retirement savings option
- Car smashes into concrete truck, blocks road
- High speed chase ends in crash, arrest
- Oakwood decision could have far reaching effects
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Cops seek bad witch who stole ruby red slippers
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos