Babe Ruth-signed baseball fetches $250K
The ball signed by Babe Ruth to an ailing 11-year-old boy, in which Ruth promised to hit a home run for him, was sold for $250,641 by Grey Flannel Auctions. An official with the auction house said the buyer wishes to remain anonymous.
One of the most famous autographed baseballs in history -- the one signed by Babe Ruth with a promise to hit a home run for an ailing 11-year-old boy -- was sold for $250,641 by Grey Flannel Auctions on Thursday night.
An official with the auction house said the buyer wishes to remain anonymous.
Johnny Sylvester, who was injured when he fell off a horse in the summer of 1926, received the autographed ball that had the message "I'll knock a homer for Wednesday's game" written on it.
Ruth then famously hit three home runs for the New York Yankees that Wednesday, which happened to be Game 4 of the 1926 World Series. Newspaper accounts at the time soon proclaimed that Sylvester's condition suddenly improved thanks in part to the moment.
The ball, which was owned by Sylvester's son John Jr., was on loan to the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum in Baltimore for 25 years.
The price paid for the ball falls short of the record for a Ruth signed ball. In 2012, a ball with a pristine Ruth signature sold for $388,375.
Two letters written by Ruth to Sylvester sold for $76,747 and $71,553 in the auction.
The sale of the ball was timed to the 119th anniversary of Ruth's birthday. Ruth, who died in 1948, stayed in touch with Sylvester until his death.
- Police seek security balance for Boston Marathon 25 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides: Withdraw traffic jam subpoenas 44 min ago
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week 54 min ago
- No consensus on how to notify data breach victims
- North Carolina deciding again on film break future
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Durham shooting sends one man to hospital
- Four teens charged in Raleigh stabbing
- Police investigate pedestrian hit-and-run accident
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos