Guerrero, Willis sign with Long Island Ducks
Vladimir Guerrero has signed a one-year contract to play for the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League, his agent said Friday.
Vladimir Guerrero has signed a one-year contract to play for the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League, his agent, Greg Maroni of California Sports Management, said Friday.
The Ducks also announced they signed pitcher Dontrelle Willis, a former National League Rookie of the Year and two-time All-Star.
Guerrero, 38, is a .318 career hitter with 449 home runs and 2,590 hits in 16 seasons with Montreal, the Los Angeles Angels, Texas and Baltimore. He is a nine-time All-Star and eight-time Silver Slugger Award recipient, and won the 2004 American League Most Valuable Player award with the Angels.
Guerrero last appeared in the big leagues with the Orioles in 2011. He played 12 games in Toronto's minor league system last season. Guerrero considered opportunities in Taiwan and with Quebec in the Can-Am League before signing with Long Island, where he owns a home.
"I grew up with the Montreal Expos and played there for almost 10 years," Guerrero said in a statement. "The fans [in Quebec] are my friends. However, my ultimate goal is to make it back to the major leagues and attempt to reach 500 home runs as soon as possible."
Willis, 31, enjoyed his greatest success with the Marlins and owns a career major league record of 72-69 with a 4.17 ERA over nine seasons. He last pitched in the majors in 2011 with Cincinnati.
"Dontrelle has had a great deal of success at the major league level," Ducks president and general manager Michael Pfaff said. "We are eager to add him to our pitching staff and excited to have him join the Atlantic League."
- Duke's Rodney Hood to enter NBA Draft 31 min ago
- Video: Easter celebration to take place in Durham
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting
- Whoopi Goldberg writes Denver Post cannabis column
- Doomed ferry's sharp turn, slow evacuation probed
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born near Philadelphia
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Why married women cheat
- Woman forgives son's killer at the gallows
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos