Burkle out of Sacramento's bid to keep Kings
Billionaire Ron Burkle will not be part of Sacramento's bid to keep the Kings after all.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Billionaire Ron Burkle will not be part of Sacramento's bid to keep the Kings after all.
Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson said Monday that a conflict of interest forced Burkle to back out. Instead, Johnson said the Southern California businessman and co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins will focus on the development around a proposed new downtown arena -- and not the arena itself.
Burkle is part-owner of Relativity Sports, which manages some NBA players' careers. Johnson said the conflict surfaced during a meeting with NBA commissioner David Stern and league owners in New York last week and "it won't slow us up."
Burkle had been expected to lead the development of a Sacramento arena. He also planned to join other wealthy investors trying to block a bid from a group that is hoping to buy and move the Kings to Seattle next season.
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation 39 min ago
- Freeze warning issued for early Thursday 43 min ago
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage 51 min ago
- Amanda Hayes faces new charges in Texas 42 min ago
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing
- Cumberland Co. damage caused by straight line winds
- Police officer killed in crash with excavator
- Researchers: Expect relatively quiet hurricane season 40 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton: I might run for office someday
- Ex-teacher accused of sending sex videos
- Downtown Raleigh is booming!
44 min ago
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos