49ers fans plan billboard to mock Seattle
The rivalry between the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks is about to include a billboard.
Fans of the 49ers have raised more than $9,000 to purchase a billboard in Seattle aimed at taunting residents with images of the five Super Bowl trophies the 49ers have won as a franchise. The group's website said as of Wednesday afternoon that $9,358 has been raised.
With the project expected to cost $7,000, the remaining money will be contributed to Seattle's Children's Hospital, according to project manager Aasheesh Shravah.
The billboard, as proposed, would feature an image of "The Catch" -- the famous game-winning touchdown reception by tight end Dwight Clark with 51 seconds remaining in the 49ers' 28-27 NFC Championship Game victory over the Dallas Cowboys -- behind images of the five Super Bowl trophies the team has won.
According to the website, the group has "contacted companies in Seattle with multiple billboard ad locations" and want to keep the ad visible "for at least 1 month, all during December and some of January for their playoff games."
The billboard would come after Seahawks fans' brought a brick at the 49ers' new stadium and arranged earlier this month for a 12th Man banner to be flown over Candlestick Park, home of the 49ers.
While the 49ers came close to a sixth title last season, the Seahawks have made just one Super Bowl appearance in their history. However, the Seahawks, who boast the NFL's best record at 12-2, are currently the favorites to hoist their first Lombardi Trophy. Seattle and San Francisco split two games this season, each winning at home.
Information from the San Jose Mercury News was included in this report.
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- The latest ABC11 First Alert Weather forecast
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos