Sources: Saints to seek new Vilma, Smith deals
The Saints will ask linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive end Will Smith, two players embroiled in the bounty scandal, to restructure their contracts, according to league sources.
Smith is due $10.15 million for 2013, while Vilma is owed $6 million in the final year of his deal.
If the players are unwilling to restructure, they could be cap casualties.
As of Friday, the Saints were about $13.5 million over the salary cap, but that was before linebacker Curtis Lofton restructured his contract. The Saints must be below the cap by March 12.
Lofton's cap figure was scheduled to be $7.1 million. But the Saints were able to drop that number to $3.1 million by replacing a scheduled $5 million roster bonus with a $5 million signing bonus that will be pro-rated over the remainder of the contract.
Information from ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas was used in this report.
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina 10 min ago
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2 54 min ago
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos