Ovechkin joining Russia for hockey worlds
Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin will join Russia's team at the ice hockey world championships in Finland.ARLINGTON, Va. -- Washington Capitals captain Alex Ovechkin will join Russia's team at the ice hockey world championships in Finland.
It will be Ovechkin's ninth appearance in the tournament. He helped Russia win the gold medal last year and in 2008. He has 26 goals and 18 assists in 55 games.
The news that he'll play for Russia comes Tuesday, a day after Ovechkin's Capitals were eliminated in the first round of the NHL playoffs with a 5-0 loss to the New York Rangers in Game 7 of their best-of-seven series.
After leading the league with 32 goals in the regular season, Ovechkin only scored once in the playoffs.
- Abaroa agrees to plea deal
- Hazmat scare at Raleigh gas station over 5 min ago
- No charges in Durham police shooting
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Expert: Girl's blood on over 30 items of evidence 38 min ago
- 4-year-old tells police brother attacked him
- Local company to provide experimental drug to boy
- Mother of child struck, killed speaks to ABC11
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm norovirus at Asheville school
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos