Peak Fitness owner banned from doing business
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The former owner of a local chain of health clubs is now banned from doing business in North Carolina for 12 years.
The state attorney general said Jeff Stec, the former owner of a local chain of health clubs, repeatedly violated a state law that requires health clubs to maintain sufficient bonds to pay refunds to club members if the club shuts down.
ABC11 Troubleshooter Diane Wilson did many stories on Stec after he took over the troubled Beyond Fitness" chain, changed the name to "Peak Fitness" and promised improvements.
Instead, Stec closed the clubs with no notice and left many members in the lurch. He eventually filed for bankruptcy.
Stec faces a $2 million fine if he violates the 12 year ban.
durham county, troubleshooter
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter