Woman waits for final paycheck
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Raleigh woman was let go from her job, but after nearly two months of waiting for her final paycheck, she contacted me.
Cynthia Jackson was owed more than $1,100 from her job as a preschool teacher at the Life Center. She was let go on June 7, and she said she was told her check for the last four weeks of work would be mailed to her.
Cynthia said she had pay problems at this job in the past, so she knew to be patient.
"I would call, it's in the mail, I would go there, it's in the mail," Cynthia said. "They kept telling me their policy is that they would mail you your check."
Cynthia waited more than a month, but never received a paycheck in the mail. She then filed a complaint with the N.C. Department of Labor, but still never saw her check.
After two months of waiting, Cynthia got in touch with me.
I contacted the Life Center and a rep told me Cynthia's check was mailed when it was supposed to, which is 30 days after she was let go.
The rep said the check came back to the Life Center as undeliverable because they did not have Cynthia's new address on file. She also told me that once the check was returned to them, they sent the check to the Department of Labor first because Cynthia filed the complaint with them.
It took time, but Cynthia eventually received her paycheck.
"I just thank you for helping me," Cynthia said.
Cynthia is still owed $172 from the Life Center for fees they promised to pay. The rep with the Life Center said Cynthia will eventually get her money, but that they are a non-profit and once they get the money, then Cynthia will receive hers.
As for the address problems, Cynthia said she has not had a problem getting any other mail as it's being forwarded from her old address to the new one she gave the post office. She also said she called the Life Center and gave them her new address.
troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday 38 min ago
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital 34 min ago
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban 24 min ago
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help