Trash piles high for Raleigh man
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Raleigh resident was upset with the city after his garbage and recycling sat on the street for weeks. When crews never came to pick up his trash, he called me for help.
Jay Cornish is no stranger to this problem, or getting ABC11 involved in helping clean up the mess.
Two years ago Jay turned to me when he was experiencing the same issue. Now he says the same problems are happening all over.
Jay says for the past five weeks he hasn't had anyone pick up his recycling, and there have also been problems with the trash collection.
"It just started piling up; it was one bin one week, two bins the next week, three bins the next week. We are actually at seven bins, but we don't have seven bins," Jay said.
Jay lives on Kirkman Street in downtown Raleigh, which is right off East Hargett Street. Two years ago, a rep with the City of Raleigh said the street Jay lives on is an alley, even though it has a street name. The rep said it is too narrow for the recycling and garbage trucks to travel down. Instead, it has to be serviced with a pick up or smaller truck.
After I got involved in 2010, Jay says service has been great, until the last five weeks.
"I have stopped the crews on Hargett Street and Haywood Street and they say it's not their job," Jay said."Sometimes they send a small 1 ½ ton truck out here and the truck doesn't pick it up. So the question is, whose job is it?"
What angered Jay even more is that he snapped some pictures that show a City of Raleigh worker with their truck stopping at his neighbor's trash.
"He actually came looked at the stuff and drove by," Jay said.
After calling the city numerous times, Jay called me again. Once I made a call to the City of Raleigh's Waste Services, a supervisor paid a visit to Jay's House and picked up all of his recycling and trash.
Jay says the supervisor of his route apologized and gave him his card with his direct number and told him to personally call him if Jay ever has a problem again.
wake county, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Abaraoa defense asks case be dismissed
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Westbound I-40 shut down at I-440 interchange 45 min ago
- Taylor Swift wins 8 trophies at Billboard Awards
- ABC 11 Match Madness to help cancer patients
- Soldiers kick off All American Week
- Criminal trial set to begin for Ex-NC Rep. LaRoque 3 min ago
- NRC meets public after nuclear plant shuttered
- NC NAACP enters 4th week of legislative protests
- MPs who lost comrades welcomed home
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr