Local woman gets roofing runaround
SANFORD, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Sanford woman contacted the ABC11 Troubleshooter after being told her new roof would be on in two weeks. Now, two months later, Geraldine Elliott is out $3,000 and still doesn't have a new roof over her head.
Strong storms caused damage to Elliott's roof earlier this year.
"The whole roof would be replaced," she said. "That's what the insurance company paid to have the roof replaced."
In July, with the insurance money, Elliott paid GBS Roofing to put on a new metal roof. She said the salesman told her the job would start in two weeks.
"I haven't heard any more from him, except promises they're going to be here and there's no show," said Elliott.
With no one showing up, Elliott just got more frustrated.
"All I've been getting from GBS Roofing is promises. I've gone to their establishment," said Elliott. "I've called them two or three different times, until finally they just quit talking to me. So now I'm here, at ABC News' mercy asking for help."
I got in touch with GBS Roofing. During our first conversation, the owner said the salesman said the job would be done way too soon as they have 40 jobs on the schedule. But he said the good news was the metal has arrived and the job will start within a week, and that he hates for Elliott to be upset.
More than two weeks later, there was still no new roof. This time a rep with GBS said the distributor sent the wrong color metal roof and they were waiting for the new materials to come in.
Another two weeks later and Elliott still has no new roof. I put in another call to GBS Roofing and this time the rep said the materials are in and that they are ready to start the job. They are just waiting for nice weather. Elliott said she is tired of the excuses. She just wants her new metal roof.
"I want them to replace my roof," she said. "I mean, not down the road, but what about like right now, since you've put me on the back burner for so long. That's what I would like GBS to do."
I just talked to yet another GBS employee Wednesday. She assured me the materials and crew would be there Thursday to start the job. She said the new roof should be done within a few days.
Because of the delays, she said they will give Elliott a $300 discount.
abc11 troubleshooter, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- NC-147 closed due to downed power lines 10 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Salvation Army coming up short this year
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Bank robbery suspect sought in Fayetteville
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the dickens'
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help