Scam victim helped by ABC11 viewer
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Back in October I told you the story of a woman who lost hundreds of dollars when she tried to get a loan.
An ABC11 viewer stepped forward to help her out this holiday season.
Gina Peppers was left with hardly anything in her bank account after getting scammed out of $800.
"We only have $12.22 left in our account," Gina said. "They said our credit score was good enough for a $10,000 loan."
She thought she was getting the $10,000 loan and all she had to do was wire $800 to the lender in Canada.
"We needed to wire the down payment and that would be for three months in advance of our payment and we should receive the money in our account the same day," Gina said.
That never happened. Instead, Gina never got the promised loan and her $800 was gone.
An ABC11 viewer saw the story and anonymously sent a check to give to Gina. We surprised her with it. Gina was overwhelmed and said it will go to good use.
"Thank you so much, I can get some groceries now," she said.
durham county, troubleshooter, diane wilson
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75