Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie
Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie has been at the Raleigh family-owned restaurant for 30-years.
The recipe was hand delivered by then owner, Alice Eure to pastry chef Betty Shugart. "I want you to do something different with this recipe just for the Angus Barn," Shugart said as she remembered her orders from Eure. With some tinkering to this southern classic pie recipe, Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie is the most famous dessert and voted best dessert at the Toast of The Triangle 2007.
Carolyn Turner turns out 60-70 pies a day; not just for customers at the restaurant, but for hundreds of requests from around the world. "We send them out every day," Turner said. Around Christmas the requests for the pies double. Alonnie Watkins as worked at the Angus Barn for 24 years. When asked if she has every gotten tired of this famous dessert she said, "You don't get tired of it. You love it. It's the best dessert to have when you need something sweet."
Angus Barn Chocolate Chess Pie
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 squares bakers chocolate (semi-sweet)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Dash of salt
1. Melt butter and chocolate, mix with other ingredients, which have been blended together.
2. Pour into a pie shell and bake 35 minutes (no longer) at 350 degrees.
3. Top with whipped cream.
- Target investigating credit card breach 7 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station 39 min ago
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- Target investigating credit card breach
2 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help