Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie
Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie has been at the Raleigh family-owned restaurant for 30-years.
The recipe was hand delivered by then owner, Alice Eure to pastry chef Betty Shugart. "I want you to do something different with this recipe just for the Angus Barn," Shugart said as she remembered her orders from Eure. With some tinkering to this southern classic pie recipe, Angus Barn's Chocolate Chess Pie is the most famous dessert and voted best dessert at the Toast of The Triangle 2007.
Carolyn Turner turns out 60-70 pies a day; not just for customers at the restaurant, but for hundreds of requests from around the world. "We send them out every day," Turner said. Around Christmas the requests for the pies double. Alonnie Watkins as worked at the Angus Barn for 24 years. When asked if she has every gotten tired of this famous dessert she said, "You don't get tired of it. You love it. It's the best dessert to have when you need something sweet."
Angus Barn Chocolate Chess Pie
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 squares bakers chocolate (semi-sweet)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Dash of salt
1. Melt butter and chocolate, mix with other ingredients, which have been blended together.
2. Pour into a pie shell and bake 35 minutes (no longer) at 350 degrees.
3. Top with whipped cream.
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder 54 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington State 36 min ago
- Authorities: Barricade situation didn't happen
- Suspect in Raleigh murder has criminal past 54 min ago
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Tar Heels beat Hurricanes 10-0 in ACC tournament
- Senate Republicans move NC budget to House
- Raleigh names new interim city manager 44 min ago
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over Dix lease
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder
52 min ago
- Suspect in Raleigh murder has criminal past
50 min ago