Autopsy Reveals Twist in Abaroa's Death
(08/18/05 - DURHAM) -- An autopsy report obtained by Eyewitness News shows that a Durham woman was pregnant when she was stabbed to death earlier this year.
Janet Abaroa, 25, was found stabbed to death on April 26 inside her Ferrand Drive home in Durham. Police say it was not a random crime and no one has been ruled out as a suspect.
The autopsy report showing Abaroa was pregnant came as a shock to grieving family members. Eyewitness News reached her sister-in-law in Virginia.
"We didn't know she was pregnant," Consuelo Christiansen said. "It actually kind of made things harder for us, sadder."
Durham's district attorney tells Eyewitness News that the crime could not be considered a double murder under state law.
The autopsy report also reveals that Abaroa was stabbed three times - - in the neck, chest and right hand.
Abaroa's husband, Raven, found his wife's body and called police. The couple's 6-month-old son was found unharmed in another room. Raven Abaroa and his son have since moved to Utah.
"The few times I've talked to him, he's still broken up," Christiansen said. "It's still hard on him, not knowning what happened to his wife, not knowing anything at this point."
- Judge weighs new evidence in Army sex assault case 45 min ago
- Powerful quake shakes Northern California
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- ABC11 channel changes coming to Time Warner customers
- Oakwood home causing neighborhood divide
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Conn. shooter's dad wishes he'd never been born
- Neighborhood blocked off, police search for suspect
- Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Family displaced in Fayetteville house fire