New Details about Miller Case Revealed in Court
(11/07/05 -- RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- Derril Willard was Ann Miller's lover and co-worker. Before he took his own life, Willard gave up a secret to at least one person - - his lawyer, Rick Gammon.
"He told me that Ann Miller had admitted to him that she had placed poison into Eric Miller's I.V.," Gammon told Eyewitness News on Monday.
A judge forced Gammon to give up that much, but he says he cannot say more about Willard's position. Gammon says attorney-client privilege even trumps a client's death.
"I believe had this trial gone forward, I would have been ordered to disclose additional information," Gammon said.
Kontz admitted that she and Willard helped mastermind her husband's poisoning. Gammon says court documents say otherwise.
"No one really knows but Derril Willard as to what happened or did not happen," he said. "Based on the information provided to me, as characterized by the Supreme Court, there was nothing incriminating about his involvement in Eric Miller's death."
Other pieces of the case were revealed in court Monday. Kontz had an affair with a California man for three-and-a-half years. The relationship started in mid-1997 and lasted until Eric Miller's death in December 2000.
Kontz and Derril Willard traveled to Chicago together on November 12, 2000. Kontz told her husband that it was a business trip, but GlaxoSmithKline says it has no record of the trip.
Willard told his wife that he was going to a reunion of old friends.
Several days later, it's alleged that Willard slipped arsenic into Eric Miller's beer while the two were at a bowling alley. When police questioned Miller just before his death at Rex Hospital, he said he did not know who was poisoning him.
- Photos: Ice topples trees, leaves trail of damage
- Another Tobacco Road showdown
- WikiLeaks' Assange talks NSA, hints at more leaks
- Four men charged in Raleigh stabbing
- Missing Md. girl found; father charged with murder
- Pistorius trial hears damaging testimony
- 4 nations urge US gas exports amid Ukraine crisis
- Police investigate pedestrian hit-and-run accident
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony