Durham Middle Schoool Teacher Arrested
(02/16/06 - DURHAM) (WTVD) -- A Durham middle school teacher is facing charges after allowing a student to spend the night at her home.
According to the Durham County Sheriff's Office, Janet Briggs, 43, allegedly allowed a 14-year-old student to spend the night at her home more than once.
Briggs worked at Chewning Middle School as an eighth-grade teacher until she resigned on February 3. Just days later, the boy's father filed a complaint and pressed charges. Briggs was arrested Wednesday.
According to police warrants, the first sleepover occurred December 16. Officials say the male student was invited to her home a second time on January 31, but the student did not spend the night.
Sgt. Will Oakley of the Durham County Sheriff's Office says both Briggs and the boy deny any sexual contact, but he says the boy was allowed to sleep in her bedroom.
Briggs has been charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Briggs was release Wednesday afternoon without bond. She has signed a written an agreement to have no contact with the boy or his family.
Briggs worked with Durham Public Schools for 11 years. School officials are conducting an internal investigation.
Briggs is out of jail on the misdemeanor charge and ordered to stay away from the boy.
- NC State football player under investigation 6 min ago
- New ID requirement coming for jobless benefits
- Fast food workers demand more money
- A woman's quest to save dogs' lives with a camera
- No charges for FSU quarterback 1 min ago
- NC lottery now offers some jackpot tickets online
- Hackers stole 2M Facebook, Google passwords
- Emergency declaration issued for Bonner Bridge
- Tim Tebow to play in Italy?
- 1 child dead in elementary school bus crash
- Heart patients cope with depression too
26 min ago
- Nelson Mandela dead at 95
29 min ago