Raleigh's Convention Center Destroyed
(02/19/06 - RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- A 30-year fixture in downtown Raleigh has been destroyed. A three-second implosion sent the old Raleigh Convention Center up in a huge cloud of dust on Sunday.
At 7:08 a.m, engineers safely demolished the old convention center.
The building is being replaced with a new 500,000 square foot convention center and Marriott Hotel on Salisbury Street. Those two buildings are expected to open in 2008.
Officials say several people gathered on rooftops to watch the demolition.
Parts of Wilmington, South, Lenoir, Cabarrus and Salisbury streets were closed until 8 a.m. to prevent drivers and pedestrians from getting too close to the implosion zone.
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest 40 min ago
- Father sought after baby found with burns 33 min ago
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches 52 min ago
- Charlotte mom has son jailed for stealing Pop Tarts
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Authorities: Barricade situation didn't happen
- Suspect in Raleigh murder has criminal past
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season