Raleigh's Convention Center Destroyed
(02/19/06 - RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- A 30-year fixture in downtown Raleigh has been destroyed. A three-second implosion sent the old Raleigh Convention Center up in a huge cloud of dust on Sunday.
At 7:08 a.m, engineers safely demolished the old convention center.
The building is being replaced with a new 500,000 square foot convention center and Marriott Hotel on Salisbury Street. Those two buildings are expected to open in 2008.
Officials say several people gathered on rooftops to watch the demolition.
Parts of Wilmington, South, Lenoir, Cabarrus and Salisbury streets were closed until 8 a.m. to prevent drivers and pedestrians from getting too close to the implosion zone.
- Two teens shot in Durham; suspect at large
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- Truck dumps concrete load onto roadway
- Raleigh mayor to announce major concert
- State prison guard attacked by inmate
- DOT shuts down Bonner Bridge on Outer Banks
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Sam Champion departs GMA Wednesday
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?