Apartment Owner Sued Over Bennett's Murder
(01/17/07 -- RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- Drew Planten who attorneys in this trial are calling a serial killer, was charged with, but never tried for, Bennett's 2002 murder. He killed himself in jail.
Now the apartment complex where Bennett lived is on trial here instead.
When the murder scene at Bridgeport Apartments was first discovered almost five years ago, the lead investigator immediately noticed a couple of things. A screen was off a window at Bennett's apartment and leaning against the side of the building and vegetation from outside the building was found inside the apartment right under the window.
Chris Morgan, retired Raleigh Police Detective, stated, "Those jurors are being asked to decide whether Bridgeport Apartments could have prevented the murder by properly fixing a broken lock on the window, by cutting back tall bushes in front of the building, or by notifying residents that a "peeping tom" had been reported near Bennett's apartment."
Morgan testified for Bennett's father who is suing the complex.
The apartment's attorneys are trying to show that Drew Planten, the man charged with killing Bennett, could have come through the front door of the apartment and not the window with the broken lock.
Although Morgan is betting on the window, he admits it was strange that the security chain on the front door of the apartment was not fastened.
Morgan commented, "She made a, generally made a habit, usually would use the chain lock at night, every night. That lock was not in place.
- General's defense to try for plea deal in sex case
- Voting rights rally held in Raleigh
- Sanford teen shot in face
- 2 governors, lawmakers say goodbye to Sen. Nesbitt 58 min ago
- Justice Department probing GM recall
- Police search for man who solicited sex act from boy
- Oregon couple attacked by cat plans to get it help
- NC State's Warren voted ACC player of year
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Big chill to follow today's high