Congressman Pushes for Probe Against Nifong
(01/25/07 -- RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- North Carolina Congressman Walter Jones is demanding an investigation of Durham D.A. Mike Nifong.
Thursday Jones met with the U.S. attorney general's office in Washington. He said he has a new reason why he thinks the nation's top law enforcement office will launch an inquiry.
According to the Jones, there is no excuse for the attorney general not to initiate a civil rights investigation because the three lacrosse players had their civil and constitutional rights violated.
The Congressman delivered letters from nine members of congress who think now that Nifong has removed himself as prosecutor on the Duke lacrosse case, the U.S. Justice Department should take action against the D.A.
Jones cites as basis for the investigation "misconduct by the prosecutor." He went on the say that gives the U.S. Justice Department "authority to look into misconduct by a state or federal law enforcement officer."
Jones said he has never spoken with Dave Evan, Collin Finnerty, Reade Seligman or their lawyers or family members. The three are charged with sexually assaulting an exotic dancer at a lacrosse team party last March.
"I feel sorrow for the three young men and their families," said Jones. "They have been destroyed by this D.A. for politics." We just want to bring some protection to the young men.
The Congressman hopes the charges against the men will be dropped.
Eyewitness News spoke to Nifong's legal assistant and she said the D.A. has "no comment" about the latest development in Washington.
- One man killed, another injured in shooting
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Raleigh house damaged in fire
- Two shot, wounded at NC chicken plant
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M 6 min ago
- Newlywed pleads guilty to murder in surprise twist
- Salvation Army coming up short this year
- Fatal accident closes highway 54 min ago
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Dog helps Alaska woman survive 3 nights in cold