Duke LAX Defense Attorneys Meet with Prosecutors
(02/07/07 -- DURHAM) (WTVD) -- A spokesperson for the attorney general has confirmed that a meeting, including legal teams for the Duke lacrosse case, took place in Raleigh around 10 a.m. Wednesday, but both sides are remaining tight-lipped about what went on behind closed doors.
"We have a meeting with some of the attorneys general," said Joe Chesire, defense attorney.
That's all defense attorneys would reveal about their meeting with special prosecutors.
Defense Attorney James Cooney could be seen arriving at the meeting with several boxes. Sources close to the case told Eyewitness News that Wednesday was the first time the defense had been able to make its case for why the remaining charges against Reade Seligman, Collin Finnerty and David Evans should be dropped.
In December, D.A. Mike Nifong dismissed rape charges against three players after the accuser told an investigator she was no longer certain she was raped as defined by N.C. law. But the defendants still face kidnapping and sexual offense charges.
Despite claims, some of the attorney's clients have iron-clad alibis. Defense attorneys have said Nifong refused to meet with them. But with the case now in the hands of the attorney general's office, the hope is there will be change.
Both sides met last week. That meeting ended with a hearing postponed until May so that new prosecutors can get up to speed on the case.
- Police: Man tried to kidnap child in Durham
- Raleigh least 'open-minded' about dating
- 284 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Car chase ends on American Tobacco Trail
- Freeze watch continues into Thursday
- Are you smarter than a high schooler?
- Video: Hagan presents widow of WWII veteran with...
- Local runners mark marathon bombing anniversary
- Car accident killed girls missing since 1971
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?