Possible New Evidence Found in Young Murder
(04/19/07 -- RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- It's unclear at this time if the discovery on the Young's lawn is related to the case, but is has the attention of investigators.
It's not uncommon for neighbors in the Enchanted Oaks subdivision to mow their lawns, but on the weekend of Easter Sunday, a resident mowing the lawn where Michelle and Jason Young once lived stumbled across the object.
That object according to Eyewitness News sources is similar to a mallet or small hammer.
"I know for a fact the neighbors want answers, they want closure," said Marie Stranad, neighbor. "We want it closed out and over with."
For Stranad, an arrest can't come soon enough.
She remembers Michelle Young, a mother who was brutally murdered in her home located across the street from Stranad.
A spokesperson for the Wake County Sheriff's Department said, "There is a search warrant for an object yet to be determined if it's involved in the case."
Eyewitness News contacted several neighbors who said the Young's lawn has been mowed before, but nothing was ever found.
The recent discovery may or may not lead to an arrest in the case, but those who remember Young are holding out hope.
"If that was one of the weapons, the sheriff's department should investigate more, and not only that, let us know we live here day in and day out," said Stranad.
Young's mother, Linda Fisher, said she is grateful a neighbor contacted investigators. She said she would like to encourage anyone with information about the case to speak out and come forward.
- Abaroa agrees to plea deal
- Police block off Raleigh gas station
- No charges in Durham police shooting
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 9 min ago
- Expert: Girl's blood on over 30 items of evidence
- 4 year old tells police brother attacked him
- Local company to provide experimental drug to boy
- Mother of child struck, killed speaks to ABC11
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Tests confirm norovirus at Asheville school