Officer Shot During Traffic Stop
(08/06/07 -- ROCKY MOUNT) (WTVD) -- Police are looking for a man who shot a Rocky Mount Police officer during a traffic stop on Sunday morning.
Rocky Mount Police are expected to hold a news conference Monday morning where we hope to learn more about the shooting.
Alexander Whitaker, 20, is wanted for the attempted murder of a police officer. The suspect's mother, Angela Daniels, is hoping her son will hear her plea and turn himself in. "Once your son has hurt a police officer, it's a very hurt feeling. I don't want there to be retaliation," she tells Eyewitness News.
Police say Officer Darrell Martin made a routine traffic stop around 3:15 a.m. Sunday on Sunset Avenue at Highway 301. He realized one of the five occupants in the car had an outstanding traffic warrant and ordered the men out of the car. Police say that's when Whitaker allegedly started shooting. Police say Martin was hit twice before Whitaker and another man got away.
Officer Martin managed to arrest two men before going to the hospital. "I can't take action for what my son has done. But I can feel the officer family member's pain. I glad he's ok," Daniels said.
Officer Martin was hit with the gunshots on the left side and his right arm. Officer Martin is listed in stable condition at an area hospital.
- NC State football player under investigation 21 min ago
- Fourth bank robbery reported in area 10 min ago
- No charges for FSU quarterback 15 min ago
- New ID requirement coming for jobless benefits
- Fast food workers demand more money
- A woman's quest to save dogs' lives with a camera
- NC lottery now offers some jackpot tickets online
- Hackers stole 2M Facebook, Google passwords
- Emergency declaration issued for Bonner Bridge
- Tim Tebow to play in Italy?
- Fourth bank robbery reported in area
10 min ago
- No charges for FSU quarterback
14 min ago
- Heart patients cope with depression too
41 min ago