Officer Shot During Traffic Stop
(08/06/07 -- ROCKY MOUNT) (WTVD) -- Police are looking for a man who shot a Rocky Mount Police officer during a traffic stop on Sunday morning.
Rocky Mount Police are expected to hold a news conference Monday morning where we hope to learn more about the shooting.
Alexander Whitaker, 20, is wanted for the attempted murder of a police officer. The suspect's mother, Angela Daniels, is hoping her son will hear her plea and turn himself in. "Once your son has hurt a police officer, it's a very hurt feeling. I don't want there to be retaliation," she tells Eyewitness News.
Police say Officer Darrell Martin made a routine traffic stop around 3:15 a.m. Sunday on Sunset Avenue at Highway 301. He realized one of the five occupants in the car had an outstanding traffic warrant and ordered the men out of the car. Police say that's when Whitaker allegedly started shooting. Police say Martin was hit twice before Whitaker and another man got away.
Officer Martin managed to arrest two men before going to the hospital. "I can't take action for what my son has done. But I can feel the officer family member's pain. I glad he's ok," Daniels said.
Officer Martin was hit with the gunshots on the left side and his right arm. Officer Martin is listed in stable condition at an area hospital.
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation 14 min ago
- Freeze warning issued for early Thursday 18 min ago
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage 26 min ago
- Amanda Hayes faces new charges in Texas 17 min ago
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; 6 dead, 290 missing 57 min ago
- Cumberland Co. damage caused by straight line winds
- Police officer killed in crash with excavator
- Researchers: Expect relatively quiet hurricane season 15 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton: I might run for office someday
- Ex-teacher accused of sending sex videos
- Downtown Raleigh is booming!
19 min ago
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
28 min ago
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation
41 min ago