Nooses Found Hanging on N.C. High School Campus
(09/22/07 --HIGH POINT, N.C.) (WTVD) -- Detectives are trying to determine who hung nooses on the campus of a High Point, N.C. high school Friday. The incident happened a day after thousands from across the country gathered in support of the Jena 6 in Louisiana.
Three nooses were found hanging from trees on the campus of Andrews High School.
The incident makes many wonder if what is happening in Jena, Louisina is spreading. In the case there, six black students were charged with attempted murder after allegedly beating a white classmate. The fight stemmed from an incident in 2006 after black students sat under a "white" tree at school. Three white students were accused of hanging nooses from the tree.
Although police don't have any leads, they plan to increase security at the school and in nearby neighborhoods. "Right now, we don't really know what the motivation is behind it, and that's what the investigation is all about for right now," High Point Police Lt. Ken Steel said.
Students protested inside the school with posters and encouraged unity among students. Counselors were also available for students.
Guilford County Schools Superientendent Terry Grier said when they find who is responsible for the act, they plan to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.
- General's defense to try for plea deal in sex case
- Voting rights rally held in Raleigh
- Sanford teen shot in face
- 2 governors, lawmakers say goodbye to Sen. Nesbitt
- J. Staal, Tlusty lead Hurricanes over Rangers 5 min ago
- Justice Department probing GM recall
- Police search for man who solicited sex act from boy
- Oregon couple attacked by cat plans to get it help
- NC State's Warren voted ACC player of year
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course