7 Day Forecast
Wintry mix closes schools, wrecks reported
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- School officials in Orange County took the unusual step of cancelling classes at the last minute Friday morning - turning around school buses that were already on their routes.
Orange County officials notified ABC11 of the decision around 7:30 a.m. after snow began sticking on county roads.
George McFarley, Jr., Chief Operations Officer for Orange County schools said officials had been up all night watching the weather. He said at about 3 a.m., it was raining and 35 degrees and they felt they were safe proceeding with school.
He said the first buses left at 6 a.m. By 6:35 a.m., snow started falling and covering roads within 10 minutes, so they decided to cancel. Only elementary school buses had picked up children at that point.
McFarley said the district sent out an automated message to parents, told the media and posted the closing on the district's website.
McFarley said students whose parents were home were returned home by buses. There were a handful of kids at each elementary school whose parents they could not reach. By 9 a.m., all had been picked up.
Officials said a school bus slid off the road on Buckhorn Road. Eight kids were on the bus. No one was injured.
Person, Granville Counties also closed
Person and Granville Counties also announced last minute closings Friday. They had already announced delays.
Slick roads west of Hillsborough
Meanwhile, law enforcement officials said they got reports of multiple accidents on roads east of Hillsborough. They blamed the slick conditions.
durham county, cumberland county, wake county, 7 day forecast
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 1 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- NCCU new head football coach named
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help