7 Day Forecast
Snow flurries change to windy weather
Thursday, February 25, 2010
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The flurries started just before daybreak, and at first it was a very light snow mixed with rain.At dawn Thursday, snow was coming down rapidly in places like Cary, Raleigh, Durham, and all over the Triangle.
"It's been a tough one," Raleigh commuter Linda Ring said.
Ring speaks from experience. She's a Chicago native but after 30 years in Raleigh, she's happy when the snow doesn't stick to the roads.
"The commute wasn't bad. I didn't think, and I left a little bit late, so [it was] kind of nice," Ring said.
"There's enough snow coming down that, basically, it's starting to cover the grass, but it hasn't seemed to really effect the roads any," commuter Paul Mrstik said.
Mrstik commutes from Cary to Downtown Raleigh, and like many people, was glad there were no travel troubles.
Road crews in Wake County weren't taking any chances and made sure they were ready for anything.
The DOT, the City of Raleigh, and the Town of Cary all had skeleton crews on standby.
For the most part, the salt stayed in the salt barns and all around the Triangle. The Town of Cary did send out a crew early this morning and salted a couple of bridges just as a precaution.
The warm temperatures seen around the area recently helped to melt the snow and kept the ground warmer than it has been during previous storms.
"It's coming down pretty good. It's actually, it's enough to be pretty but I don't think it's going to be enough to really effect businesses and stuff," Mrstik said.
Overall, it was not a bad morning in the Triangle; it was a snowy one, but not a bad morning for commuters.
The rest of the day promises to be windy - with gusts near 35 mph possible. Temperatures will struggle to reach 40 in spots so bundle up. More sun is on tap for Friday, but it will remain breezy and cool with highs in the upper 40s. Temperatures will warm slightly over the weekend, but remain below normal. Weekend high temperatures in the low to mid 50s.
(Copyright ©2013 WTVD-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
durham county, orange county, wake county, 7 day forecast
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County 3 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
- UNC ousts Tigers from CWS with 4-2 win 58 min ago
- Are there repercussions to 'Moral Monday' arrests?
- Funeral services set for Southern Pines officer
- New charge for man in Raleigh hit and run
- Fayetteville man faces 139 sex charges
- Wake Schools superintendent could be named 35 min ago
- Long road to recovery for child attacked by dog
- New England Patriots star to be question about a murder 44 min ago
- Johnson Co teacher facing sex charge
- Viewer describes possible tornado spotted...
3 min ago
- ABC11's Fred Shropshire describes...
10 min ago
- Franklin County sheriff identifies damage...
3 min ago