Winter Weather Guide
Preparing your home for the winter
Taking the time to prepare your home for the cold weather ensures comfort in the months ahead and saves you money as well.
Consider these tips: Test your heating system before you need it. Some manufacturers suggest having systems inspected annually and doing it before the heating season begins can avert problems during the winter months. Replenish your fuel supply (wood, coal, oil or propane) before prices increase for the season. Inspect your hot water heater. Refer to your owner's manual to determine what to check as these items will differ depending on the type of heater you use. Insulate against drafts. This is one of the most important tasks you can do to ensure maximum comfort and energy efficiency. Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic. Caulk or install weatherstripping around doors and windows and seal any cracks or openings that formed since last winter. Insulate electrical outlets and switch plates with plugs and insulation pads designed for such use.
Clean and inspect wood and coal burning stoves. Make sure doors are properly sealed, the flue is in good condition and the chimney is clean.
Drain outside water connections. Drain and store hoses for the winter and disconnect outside water supplies to prevent frozen pipes.
Test and clean smoke detectors. The use of portable heaters and other sources of supplementary heat dramatically increases the incidence of fire. Make certain all smoke and heat detectors are in proper working condition by testing or replacing the batteries and by cleaning unitsof and removing all dust particles.
winter weather guide
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...